A few years ago, my dear friend, Sherry, gave me a recipe for raw “tuna” salad and I fell in love with it. It was easy to make and since I don’t have a Vitamix or a great blender, it was something I could do with the equipment I had.
I googled recipes and took what I liked from each and this is my tweaked version of “tuna” salad into a “chicken” salad.
– 1 cup of almonds (soak 2 to 6 hours in water – I soaked mine over night)
– 6 tablespoons of mirepoix (I used Whole Foods store bought pre-packaged mix. I’m making food for myself, it doesn’t make sense to buy a bunch of vegetables that might go to waste.)
– 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
– 3 tablespoons of Grapeseed Veganaise (You can use any Veganaise, this is what I had in my refrigerator and if you’re not into vegan, you can use Miracle Whip or even the mayonnaise of your choice.) If you desire a drier or creamier salad, subtract/add a tablespoon. 3 tablespoons gave me the texture I wanted.
– Salt and pepper if desired
– Drain water from almonds and rinse
– Add almonds, mirepoix, lemon juice into a chopper (or blender or Vitamix)
– Transfer chopped mix into a mixing bowl, add Veganaise and stir until mix
– Voila, you’re done. Chill if desired
Store left overs in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days.
Good in salads, sandwiches, in a lettuce wrap…everywhere you’d eat chicken salad.